[Sca-cooks] Indian Maize in Italy in period??????

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 10 09:45:53 PST 2005

Friends,

This just showed up on the Atlantian e-list, the Merry Rose:

If you've been looking for documentation for the use of American Indian  corn
in Europe during the SCA time period, here is a nice little gem.
Nancy / Ingvild

Nancy,

    Not "soon after 1500"  but Cosimo de Medici, husband of Eleonora of
Toledo mentions his "Indian  Maize" crop in an Italian field.  Checked out the
Medici Archives Project  where I found this:

     1548 April  30

Date  Uncertain Doc  undated
    .    From: Not Relevant in this  Entry
Location: Not  Relevant in this Entry .