[Sca-cooks] not baklava (was: bake sale advice)

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Thu Nov 3 08:00:44 PST 2005

Susan Fox wrote:

>> That's it!  Rice Krispy Baklava!  Add some cereal crispy bits between
>> the laters with the nuts.  OR, use cereal instead of phyllo or
>> qataifi shreds.  My original thought was as a joke, but the more I
>> think about it, the better it sounds.  New taste treat?

Several years ago, I created something I called Southern Baklava. I
rolled out a sheet of puff pastry to fit an 8x12 glass dish. Put a
modified Pecan Pie filling (more pecans, less goo) over that, another
layer of puff pastry, more pie goo, finish with puff. Brushed top with
butter and bake. Drizzled a mixture of honey and orange juice over the
top and let it sit.

Served it at room temperature with with Chantilly Cream (bourbon instead
of brandy, of course). It was interesting. The middle layer of puff
pastry didn't do to well, though.

Aoghann