[Sca-cooks] Pheasants?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Nov 3 21:11:16 PST 2005

Eirene asked:
> A lady over on another list (aotc) has come into a bunch of pheasant
> feathers, and is asking about uses in 14th-15th century clothing. She
> has located visual sources from the 16th century, so they were
> apparently available late in our period.
>
> The question is, when were they imported?
>
> I don't recall any recipes for pheasant in the
> corpus, but I haven't done anything like an exhaustive study.
>
> What's the history in Europe?

 From this file in the FOOD-MEATS section of the Florilegium:
birds-recipes-msg (24K) 10/17/04    Bird recipes. Squabs, pheasants,
quail.

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 16:20:17 -0500
From: Ceridwen <ceridwen at ccgnv.net>
Subject: Re: SC - Pheasant recipe

 > I just spent some time looking through the Miscellany and the
Florilegium.
 > I was looking for some recipes on how to cook game birds, pheasant in
 > particular.
 >
 > Any period sources or recipes would be helpful.
 >
 > Avelina Keyes

In looking through His Grace's Collection, I found a few. I'm neither a
good nor patient typist, so will give you a couple to start with.

Ceridwen (ceridwen at ccgnv.net)

 From "A Text on Portuguese Cooking from the Fifteenth Century"
"Tigelada de perdiz (pheasant casserole)
     Take an undercooked pheasant and cut it in pieces. Seperately, in a
casserole dish, make a sauce with oil or butter, diced onions, cloves,
pepper and saffron.
     Roll pheasant pieces in flour and then arrange in pan with the
sauce.
Take vinegar mixed with water and add to the pan with the pheasant, till
half-full. Add salt to taste. Cook on a medium flame."

 >From "A Noble Boke off Cookry ffor a Prynce Houssolde" (late 15th C.?)
     "Ffessand or Pertuche:
     To boile fessand or pertuche tak good brothe put there in your
fessand or
pertuche and put ther to ale, flour pepper, canelle,guinger,and
saffron and
boile it well and salt it and serve it forthe with pouder douce."