[Sca-cooks] My first A&S display

Heather M margaretnorthwode at frontiernet.net
Mon Nov 7 21:23:29 PST 2005

<snip>

> One person asked me if I had grown the roses used in the
> dishes. Another commented that she liked the Boar in
> Comfit but felt I should have used a different meat. I'm
> not quite sure what was meant by that since it is basically
> a ham glaze and I used ham....
> <snip>

Possibly she was coming from the viewpoint wherein when you say "boar,"
people think of flavor similar to, say, pork tenderloin. When you say
"ham," you think of Honey-Baked-type picnic hams. I ran into this when
getting a menu together for the feast I did in early October. A friend
donated the procine meat for it, and I'd had the
opposite-side-of-the-body partner to the donated piece earlier in the
year (man, this pig had been *huge*). I definitely had a "boar" taste to
cook for, in spite of the fact that it was the very same portion of the
piggie that a picnic ham is cut from. Had I called it "ham," though,
folks would've expected one taste and gotten surprised. At the mouth,
which is off-setting.

He was yummy, fall-off-the-bone piggy, though.

> But it was fun.
> Tonight I'm going to a casting call to get selected for "Hell's
> Kitchen 2".
> Not that I expect to get chosen but it will make for an interesting
> story.
>
> Gunthar

Wooo! Do let us know.

Congrats on your entry/ies,