[Sca-cooks] How old are sugared almonds?

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Thu Nov 10 07:36:38 PST 2005

Am Donnerstag, 10. November 2005 14:03 schrieb Phil Troy / G. Tacitus
Adamantius:
> On Nov 10, 2005, at 6:58 AM, Volker Bach wrote:
> > Salve all
> >
> > I was idly wondering whether it would be defensible to add sugared
> > almonds to
> > the dessert table of a feast themed '13th century Mediterranean'. Arab
> > influences are not a problem (the dessert subteltie is supposed to
> > be 'the
> > Fleet of Roger II returning from Mahdia with tribute', but I don't
> > know that
> > much about sugar cooking. How old is that particular confection?
> >
> > Giano
>
> Off the top of my head, I _think_ one of the early specific
> references to them is Chiquart's early 15th century "Du fait de
> cuisine", but I get the feeling they're older than that.

That's what I thought. I can place them in the fifteenth century, and unless
I'm much mistaken the 'epices de chambre' mentioned in the fourteenth use a
similar process, but before that it gets dark for me. I haven't done much
sugar cooking or related research, though.

Giano