[Sca-cooks] Re: Hais report

K C Francis katiracook at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 10 15:43:40 PST 2005

The original recipe gives you the choice of sesame oil OR butter.  So many
people just seem to miss this fact.  I entered this recipe in my first
Silver Spoon competition (snack foods to be judged with the brewing
competition).  I explained in my documentation that I had tried it with the
sesame oil and didn't like it (neither the flavor nor the oily texture).  My
second batch had butter, WAAAAY better on both counts.  YET, a judge asked
on my judging form "why did you use butter?" as if I had made a substitution
for an original ingredient and hadn't mentioned it.  Go figure.....

As for the dates, I didn't realize there were variations on the moistness of
the dates until I got some really DRY ones and had the problems noted here
on the list.  For some reason, I used fresh bread crumbs the first time and
ever since.  I do think that this one variation from the original really
makes a vast improvement on the 'eating it now' version.  If I wanted it to
last a really long time as the original was intended, I would use dry bread
crumbs and work like heck to bind it into little kabobs.

Cariodoc served this at a feast and I heard one of the kitchen staff remark
how difficult it was to get his version of the mixture to stick together.
People who have eaten his version and mine have commented that I "got it
right".  And I know that means for eating now as opposed to  a perfect
version of the original recipe which I am perfectly willing to live with.

As the various "Spoon" ministers keep pointing out, 'taste' is worth twice
the points and fyi, my hais won me my first Silver Spoon.

Since this was my first attempt at period cooking, I really appreciate the
discussion here on the list.  Always ready to learn something new.

Katira