[Sca-cooks] cheese for making armor

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 11 06:12:35 PST 2005

Lonnie D. Harvel wrote:

> Elaine Koogler wrote:
>
>> I have to admit, however, that the recipe I use is not fully my own
>> redaction, but rather my adaptation of one I got from Bishop Geoffrey
>> d'Ayre of the Eastrealm.
>

> Would you be willing to share the recipe?

As requested, here is the recipe as I have used it for feasts...my
adaptation of the original by "Bish"...

Kiri

* Exported from MasterCook *

Armored Turnips

Recipe By :Platina
Serving Size : 8
Categories : Period veggies

6 1/8 medium turnips
3/8 pound mozzarella cheese
3/8 pound provolone cheese
1/8 quart butter
white pepper
sugar
nutmeg

1. Steam turnips until tender. Pat as dry as possible between paper towels.
2. Layer turnips, mozzarella, provolone and butter in a baking dish,
sprinkling each layer with salt, sugar and nutmeg.
3. Bake in a moderate oven until cheese is bubbly and brown.
4. Serve hot.

(Redaction by): "Bishop Geoffrey d'Ayr"  with modifications by Kiri
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 262 Calories; 21g Fat (72.0%
calories from fat); 12g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 62mg
Cholesterol; 455mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 3
1/2 Fat.

NOTES : This was taken from four versions of the recipe: Epulario,
Platina, Libro de Arte Coquinaria (Maestro Martino) and
Bishop Geoffrey D'Ayr of the East Kingdom. Platina tells us:

Those who have a fortified gullet are pleased to call turnips "armored"
when they have been rolled in cheese,
covered, as it were, with breastplate and cuirass, as if their descent
into the lower regions would not seem safe
without arms. But what good does this protection do the turnips, since
it turns against them to their total ruin,
since the very strong gluttons in the cookshop of athletes prefer their
enemy armored and eat them, defenseless as
they are. Cut up turnips that have been either boiled or cooked under
the ashes. Likewise do the same with rich
cheese, not too ripe. These should be smaller morsels than the turnips,
though. In a pan greased with butter or
liquamen, make a layer of cheese first, then a layer of turnips, and so
on, all the while pouring in spice and
some butter, from time to time. This dish is quickly cooked and should
be eaten quickly, too. But since it is
ruinous, it should be served to Domitianus, who is very greedy.

Maestro Martino and Mestre Robert {Libro per Cuoco) both call for the
addition of sugar, and Maestro Martino adds
pepper as well.

Bishop Geoffrey used both provolone and mozzarella in his redaction of a
number of years ago, and I continue that
here as I like the combination of flavors. None of the recipes specify
which kind of cheese beyond "mild","rich",
etc., so this is a reasonable translation.