[Sca-cooks] Queen's Table

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 11 09:01:19 PST 2005

cldyroz at aol.com wrote:

>Here is the menu in mind for tomorrow's table at the Queen's Rapier Champion Tourney;
>
>Kushiananai
>Hais
>Angel's Food on Rose petals (if I can find them)
>Shrewbury Cakes, if I can't
>Orange Slices
>Olives
>Spiced Cider
>
>Any thoughts?
>________________________________________________________________________________
>
>Separate Question;
>
>The Kushi-stuff (that is a mouthful of a name!) is a dough made with sesame oil, with an almond and sugar mixture flavored with rose water filling, baked in a loaf form. Naturally, I am a little leery of oil, now...
>what would this be like if I just used puff pastry instead? Have I just ruined the product? created something other then what I am after?
>
>I am thinking, pastry sheet, spread on the mixture, roll it up, seal the edges, and bake, and serve sliced,  sprinkled with some confectioners sugar for presentation....
>
>My experience with Period Doughs has been anything but delightful-and this includes those I have had from other cooks. They come off heavy, tough and impossible to cut. I have tried everything from reducing/increasing the fat content, reducing-increasing the handling time, increasing the rest time, playing with teh baking temperatures and so on-nothing works. I refuse to beleive that all Period crusts were tough enough to hammer nails with!
>
>Helen

Am I to understand that you have not worked with this recipe before and
the event is tomorrow?  Sigh.  For your own sanity's sake, perhaps you
had better use premade puff paste, which is just flour and butter after all.

Rose petals may not have the tensile strength you want as a substrate
for a fairly sloppy [if tasty] cheese like Angel's Food. Also a bit of
flavor redundancy with the rose in the Kushiananai.  Maybe the
Shrewsberys would be a better idea after all.  Maybe with the Angel's
Food on the side as kind of a dip?

Selene