[Sca-cooks] OT: Frying Cheese

LordGrise at aol.com LordGrise at aol.com
Fri Nov 11 12:30:02 PST 2005

Stefan wrote

> Some cheeses are better for melting.

Yes. I think at least some  modern cheeses for melting have extra milk
added to the cheese after  it has been created and aged. Velveeta for
instance.

Perhaps  one big difference between period melting and non-melting
cheeses  might be the length of aging? Parmesan type cheeses come to
mind for a  frying cheese, but I'm not sure you would get a soft
center and a  non-melting outside if fried.
<

Actually, if you bake grated parmesan on a silicone sheet or the like, you
get parmesan crisps - they do this on Food Network, that's how I know.   Kind
of like a cracker.  Dunno about frying...

On a related note...  could someone email me the recipe for  armored turnips?
 I'm curious, now, to try some other recipes on my  family.  See, I made
spinach pie and expected my family (esp my son)  to hate it, and instead I got
asked to do it again...

BTW, credit where credit is due - thank you, Lord Stefan, for the spinach
pie recipe, which I got off the Florilegium.

in service,

Grise