[Sca-cooks] Re: Indian Maize in Italy in period??????

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Nov 11 15:51:21 PST 2005

Gerard is late to the party.  Maize is first mentioned in Columbus's journal
of rhe first voyage as a type of millet and the grain was in use in Europe
50 years before he wrote his herbal.

The tie to Turkey is probably because the Turks were early adopters of New
World foodstuffs, receiving them through the trade with Genoa and Venice.
The Turks then brought such foods into Central Europe beginning with the
incursion of 1529.  Interestingly, the term Indian causes geographical
problems.  Columbus uses the word in relation to the West Indies, but the
term was more generally understood to be India.  Fuchs erroneously
identifies some capsicum peppers from the New World as being Indische
Pfeffer and Calcuttische Pfeffer (IIRC).

Bear