[Sca-cooks] Indian Maize in Italy in period??????

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Fri Nov 11 19:47:56 PST 2005

You can have corn.  HOWEVER!  You should understand that the corn/maize that
we are used to eating throughout the 20th and 21st century is not the corn
that the Medici planted.  I've been reading a book on the incredible
progress that was made at the end of the 19th century to breed the corn that
we buy in the supermarket today.

You should be able to find "Indian corn", the multi-colored small cob stuff
around now since it's all the rage for decorating purposes.

I would also suggest that you put your documentation out there for all to
see and understand that this feast is a 16th century feast.  Not something
that Thorfinn Karlstefni brought back from his trip to the new world.  In
fact corn didn't make it to the East coast until nearly the same time that
it made it to Germany.  Came slowly up the trade routes from Mexico and
possibly the Ohio valley.

Regina