[Sca-cooks] Indian Maize in Italy in period??????

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Nov 12 13:09:56 PST 2005

The quick recipe is 2 to 3 cups of water, 1 cup of meal and a little salt.
Bring the water and salt to a boil, stir in the meal reduce the heat to a
low simmer and let the meal absorb the liquid.  This forms a porridge about
the consistency of Cream of Wheat (polenta by another name).  It can be
eaten as porridge or the porridge can be placed into a bowl and allowed to
cool to form a loaf.  The loaf can be sliced and fried.

Pliny references barley polenta with linseeds and coriander.  Apicius uses
wheat meal, suggests replacing the water with milk and make fried polenta
served with honey and pepper.  There are references to all of this out in
the florilegium, so I won't get into a lot of detail.

Bear