[Sca-cooks] mustard soup, sops and bread

Dinah & Harold Tackett htackett at tds.net
Mon Nov 14 06:57:48 PST 2005

Stefan li Rous commented:
Molli, do you know if the soup you had was redacted by Mistress
Mairih or whether it was based on the redaction by HE Salaamallah's
which has been floating around the SCA for years. Salaamallah's
recipe is apparently quite good, but it takes some pretty big
liberties with the medieval recipe that it appears to be based upon.
this file in the Florilegium FOOD section has more details, as well
as the original recipe and his variation:
mustard-soup-msg  (13K)  4/ 3/02    Mustard soup. HE Salaamallah's version.

Greetings Stefan,
	It was HE Salaamallah's recipe; I got it from a former Eastern now
living in our Shire. I know it only flirts with period sources :) But the
first time I served it, I had people send back for more at least three times
during feast (some were even using it as a sauce on just about everything
savory during the meal).
	The feast was in early February on a cold wet day and I need a good
warm starter. My first course was Mustard Soup with Bread, Butter and Apple
butter.
	Mistress Mairi Ceilidh and I have been taking turns helping each
other with feast for a couple of years, when ever we have time. We through
ideas and recipes or source at back and forth (all though I can keep up with
her were it comes to the Italians :). That particular feast was mine but her
help was invaluable.
Dinah
Sayyida Dinah bint Ismai'l
www.windchild.net