[Sca-cooks] Cream of Turnip Soup

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 14 18:32:31 PST 2005

On 11/14/05 3:02 PM, "Carolbarke at aol.com" <Carolbarke at aol.com> wrote:

> ::Delurking::
> I would love to have a copy of this recipe, mentioned earlier as being served
> at an event this past weekend.  Thanks!
>
> Aethelthryth
> Barony of South Downs

Your wish is my strong suggestion!

Cream of Turnip Soup
>From CAID CORONATION FALL 2005, menu by Baroness Muiriath

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons butter
3 1/2 cups chopped leek
3/4 cup chopped shallots
4 cups diced peeled turnips
2 cups water
16 ounces chicken broth
3/4 cup whole milk
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
chopped fresh chives

Directions:

Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add leek and
shallots; saute 4 minutes. Add turnips; saute 2 minutes. Stir in water and
broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 30 minutes or until turnips are
tender.

Place one-third of turnip mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Pour
pureed mixture into a large bowl; repeat procedure with remaining turnip
mixture. Return turnip puree to pan; stir in milk and pepper. Cook until
thoroughly heated. Ladle into soup bowls; garnish with fresh chives, if
desired.

Posted by Selene Colfox