[Sca-cooks] cream and whisky POP

elisabetta at klotz.org elisabetta at klotz.org
Tue Nov 15 11:22:20 PST 2005

Greetings-

They used the word "malt" to indicate that you wanted you to use a
single malt,
verses a blended whiskey. In Scotland there is no such thing as Scotch, it is
whiskey. A Scotch whiskey indicates that it is from Scotland, which uses peat
which is makes it different from other whiskeys. Another naming example is
American whiskey, which is bourbon.

Now here is the tricky part. You want a whiskey that will blend in nicely with
the other flavors of the dessert. But you don't want to use expensive whiskey
on a dessert either.

Any Scotch whiskey from the eastern isles will be too salty, as they make the
whiskey with saltwater. I like the Orkney whiskies, especially Highland Park,
but I don't think their flavors would go with a cheesecake.

Personally when I made a chocolate whiskey cheesecake I used an Irish whiskey
because I wasn't going to waste the good stuff on a dessert. Ok, I only became
a snob after I joined an online whiskey tasting club
(http://www.scotchwhisky.com/), and tasted the difference bewteen good whiskey
(Scotch) and bad whiskey (everything else).

Also you can look at www.maltwhiskey.com, which has tasting notes on different
brands, as well as http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/scotch.html.

Good luck--

:)