[Sca-cooks] cream and whisky POP

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 15 17:01:40 PST 2005

elisabetta at klotz.org wrote:

> Greetings-
>
> They used the word "malt" to indicate that you wanted you to use a
> single malt,
> verses a blended whiskey. In Scotland there is no such thing as
> Scotch, it is
> whiskey. A Scotch whiskey indicates that it is from Scotland, which
> uses peat
> which is makes it different from other whiskeys. Another naming
> example is
> American whiskey, which is bourbon.
>
> Now here is the tricky part. You want a whiskey that will blend in
> nicely with
> the other flavors of the dessert. But you don't want to use expensive
> whiskey
> on a dessert either.
>
> Any Scotch whiskey from the eastern isles will be too salty, as they
> make the
> whiskey with saltwater. I like the Orkney whiskies, especially
> Highland Park,
> but I don't think their flavors would go with a cheesecake.
>
> Personally when I made a chocolate whiskey cheesecake I used an Irish
> whiskey
> because I wasn't going to waste the good stuff on a dessert. Ok, I
> only became
> a snob after I joined an online whiskey tasting club
> (http://www.scotchwhisky.com/), and tasted the difference bewteen good
> whiskey
> (Scotch) and bad whiskey (everything else).
>
> Also you can look at www.maltwhiskey.com, which has tasting notes on
> different
> brands, as well as http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/scotch.html.
>
> Good luck--
>
> :)
> Elisabetta

Ummmmm......my husband just took serious issue with you over your
statement about Irish whiskey.  He is a major fan of Jamieson's Irish,
not to mention Tullamore Dew.  Now, to be sure, there are good Irish
whiskeys and there are bad ones...just as there are good Scotches and
bad.  But to some folks, Irish is wonderful stuff!

Kiri (who really can't say because she doesn't drink either one!)