[Sca-cooks] It's over ... and what I would do differently

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Tue Nov 22 06:56:04 PST 2005

Actually, it's one month per seed.
Stefan, in the version of the Persephone myth that I first heard, she is the
daughter of Ceres, the goddess responsible for fertility/growth/crops, etc.
One day, when Persephone is out picking flowers, she's abducted by the god
who's the lord of the underworld/lord of the dead.  She knew better than to
eat or drink anything while she was done there, but one day (distracted?
hungry?), she ate 6 pomegranite seeds which she was offered.  Because of
this, even after she was rescued by her mother, she was committed to
spending 6 months out of every year down in the underworld.
The side effect of this is winter--when her mother grieves her daughter's
absence, plants cease to grow and flourish.
See? Actually even kinda food-related, especially when you catch the
mother's name (Ceres-->source of the word "cereal").
--Maire, chatty this morning