[Sca-cooks] Persephone and pomegranite seeds

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Nov 23 07:44:23 PST 2005

> Oh! Did "cereal" come from "Ceres"? Or the other way around? Or did
> they both just come from the same root word?

According to the OED, 'cereal' comes from Ceres:
"Cere{amac}lis pertaining to Ceres, the goddess of agriculture"

Ceres' cult was specifically associated with the plebes of Rome and
related to the bread distribution. See

Barbette Stanley Spaeth. The Roman Goddess Ceres. (Austin, TX:
University of Texas Press, 1996)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"'In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for
years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." - _Harvey_, by Mary Chase