[Sca-cooks] Report on Thanksgiving experiments...OP

Mike C. Baker / Kihe Blackeagle kihebard at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 26 11:01:24 PST 2005

I'm with Maire:  idea great!
AND a lot of "stuff just wouldn't *occur* to me!"

Having seen the basic direction for mirepoix again makes me want to dust off
a variation I use for my own enjoyment, just won't find any takers in this
house:  sauerkraut fried until at least half the strands are at least
lightly browned, adding finely chopped or minced onion, carrot, celery,
garlic, etc. as available.  Eat as sidedish or as filling for a sandwich;
vary the oil for differing flavors or according to available ingredients
(using nut oils, butter, or olive oil all worked well for me).

I've mostly got the basics down for the types of cooking I've attempted in
the past, but have little current practice (due to current living
arrangements, I only do a major dish about once a month -- or, when out of
town on contract, many simple minor dishes-for-one...).

It is still one of my longstanding challenges to be able to make good gravy
CONSISTENTLY.  As it is, what I turn out is generally edible, but tends
toward overthick -- yes, I've had gravy that tasted wonderful, but could be
sliced with a knife to divvy at the table.... (My fiancée still won't let me
live that one down.)

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com OR MCBaker216 at cs.com
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen