[Sca-cooks] Upside down turkeys

Silver Smith joyfull_spinner at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 29 22:49:56 PST 2005

I have been doing this sence My first thanksgiving as a housewife at 18. A young brides mistake made the bird much , much  tastier. (said all in attendance). The next year I skined the turkey and seasoned the flesh. cooked upside down with some broth in the roster and then 20 mins befor done had the male flip the turky and broiled till crisp (pos less broiling time than 20 mins cooked and cook by seeing and smelling not the clock). for 15 years I have got raves for this.

  Me Katie aka Silver

RUTH EARLAND <rtannahill at verizon.net> wrote:
  First, let me say that I'm a big fan of upside down roasting. I find that it
really does help get the thighs cooked without drying out the breast. I've
found that if you use a roasting rack, spray it with oil prior to placing
the turkey on it, and turn the turkey back upright half-way through the
cooking, the skin stays intact and on the bird.

The biggest problem is turning the turkey. If you've got a really big bird,
this can be a job for the manly men or the sturdy women in your group.

As an aside, I like to brine the turkey. It keeps it moist and makes it cook
faster.

Berelinde