[Sca-cooks] Re: a sampling of ancient Roma - beets

Aurelia Coritana aurelia_coritana at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 3 06:55:56 PDT 2005

>From what I can tell from Apicius, beet roots and leaves were likely cooked and served together. For instance, Apicius 92 suggests only "boil the beet and serve with mustard."

~Aurelia

sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org wrote:
Message: 9
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 23:39:40 -0500
From: Stefan li Rous
Subject: [Sca-cooks] a sampling of ancient Roma

Can you post the original recipes (in English!) or at least tell us
where they are from? For instance, why do you think the "beets" in
the following recipe are the beet roots, rather than the beet leaves?
We've had some inconclusive discussions on whether both or period or
not.

Aurelia Coritana
qui et Aurelia filia Volisii