[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 29, Issue 3

Kathleen Madsen kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 7 19:38:52 PDT 2005

> My question: The previous owner used these purely
> for decoration. If I plan to
> use them for real, should I oil them before their
> first use? And if so, would
> linseed oil be acceptable?
>
> Thanks
>
> Giano

We have not found butter molds from period, but that
doesn't mean they didn't use them.  Wood does
decompose, and most of the molds from more modern
times (1800's) have not survived because they saw
heavy use.  The wood was not oiled, and they were
soaked in ice or very cold water prior to being
filled.  This allowed the butter to set up quicker and
tip out of the mold more cleanly.

I have several antique molds that I don't use, but you
can purchase new ones online from suppliers like
http://www.lehmans.com/

Hope this has helped somewhat, even if it is rather
lat in response.  Catching up after a hellacious
week...

Eibhlin