[Sca-cooks] 2nd Call for Teachers and Presenters: Middle Kingdom Cook’s Symposium 2005

Gaylin Walli iasmin at comcast.net
Mon Oct 17 17:25:12 PDT 2005

(please feel free to forward this to any email lists or websites as
necessary)

Event Date: Saturday, December 3, 2005
City: Kalamazoo, Michigan (Canton of Three Hills, Barony of Andelcrag)
Site: Kalamazoo Latvian Hall, 100 Cherry Hill, Kalamazoo, MI 49008

The Barony of Andelcrag invites you to join cooks, researchers,
farmers, herbalists, toolmakers, food aficionados, gourmands and
interested bystanders to a Cook’s Symposium scheduled for December 3rd,
2005. This year’s Symposium will be held at the Kalamazoo Latvian Hall,
which resides in the Canton of Three Hills within the Barony of
Andelcrag. The site is wet, handicap friendly, easy to find, near major
highways, within easy driving distance of airports, and has ample
parking. Did we mention this was a wet site?

We would like to send out a second invitation to people who may be
interested in presenting a class at this year’s Symposium. Regardless
of your level of expertise, we think you have knowledge to share!
Beginners and experts alike! Past year’s Symposia had two to three
loosely grouped tracks. We are planning to continue this, but we have
room for as many as 4 full tracks of classes if additional people are
interested in teaching. Classes are typically 1 hour long, though some
hands-on classes may run 2 hours or more.

The expected cutoff date for finalizing the class list has been
tentatively set for November 13th, 2005. For those of you who have
already volunteered, thankyou! For those you thinking about teaching,
but not sure what you should teach, why not take a look at these
classes that are planned for the event? Maybe they'll spark your
interest or help you identify a class that's begging to be taught!

Here are the cooking classes people have promised so far:

Hands-on Beginning Cheesemaking (Donaetienne)
Hands-on Advanced Cheesemaking (Donaetienne)
Stuffed Pastas of the Italian Renaissance (Helewyse)
Herbs in Cooking (Harley)
The Cook as Autocrat (Rosalyn)
Anglo-Saxon Food (Aibhlin)
Indian Food (Aibhlin)
Hands-On Beginning Sausage Making (Aeneas)
Knife Making for Cooks (Gwylym)
Period Flours and Levening (Richard)
Illusions with Bread (Richard)
Feasts Everyone Can Eat, And the Cook Can Still Take a Nap (Katya)
Medieval Fruiting Plants (Kathleen)
Dehydration, A Modern Take on an Ancient Practice (Kathleen)
Tasting Period Fruits (Femke)
French Feast Fun (Alaina)
Feast Planning as Project Management: Coronation, a Case Study (Gwyneth)

We're specifically interested in adding a track of classes this year
dedicated solely to the brewing and vinting arts, as this is a topic
that is frequently tied directly to cooking within our researched time
periods. We're looking for teachers willing to present classes on any
topic related to the production or use of "booze." Do you have a pet
project related to brewing and vinting? Contact us! We'd love to have
you teach! Here's what's on our plate so far:

Brewing With Herbs That Aren't Hops (Odo)
It's Not Just Cane Sugar and Vodka (Dulcinea)
Herb Gardens Design For Brewing and Cooking (Rhonwen)
we also have a possible class mead making (possibly by a world-famous
author if we can snag him), and a day-long demonstration on brewing beer

If you're a teacher of one of the above classes and you haven't gotten
your teacher info request in yet (or if you've not received it), please
let us know. A few emails have been bouncing here and there and we want
to be sure we get your classes scheduled at the times you request. Did
you volunteer to teach? Again, some of our emails have been bouncing to
prospective teachers, so we'd really like to hear from you!

Cheers!

FOR INFORMATION ABOUT CLASSES OR TO VOLUNTEER TO TEACH PLEASE CONTACT
THE CLASS COORDINATOR:

Mistress Iasmin de Cordoba
C/o Gaylin Walli, iasmin at comcast.net or telephone 248-582-0533 (EDST)

FOR INFORMATION ABOUT THE EVENT IN GENERAL PLEASE CONTACT ONE OF THE
EVENT STEWARDS:

Mistress Siobhan, judith.a.kirk at wmich.edu
Dame Hauviette, channonmondoux at yahoo.com