[Sca-cooks] Mediterranean Recipe Resources

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 27 09:45:52 PDT 2005

I've decided to do all-Mediterranean all-the-time
for Silver Spoon cooking competitions in 2006.

To aid cooks, I'm putting together a page listing
possible resources for recipes. I have a moderate
number of resources to list, but i'm hoping folks
can add some more. I prefer to list English
translations, but i will mention Thomas Gloning's
invaluable site for the more adventurous.

Here's what i have so far - not all listings are complete...

AL-ANDALUS / ANDALUSIA
-- Anonymous 13th C. Andalusian Cookbook, on the 'net (i have the URL)

SPAIN / CATALUNYA (Catalonia)
(i'm listing them together, since so many Spanish
cookbooks "borrowed" from Catalan books)
-- Sent Sovi - no complete translation into
English available - individual recipes in Santich
and Redon and on the 'net
-- de Nola - complete translation into English by
Vincent Cuenca in book form, and nearly complete
by Brighid ni Chiarain on the 'net (i have the
URL)
-- Granado - mostly copied de Nola but added some more recipes
-- Manual de mujeres
-- Libre de totes maneres de confits - i don't
know of an English translation that is publicly
available.

SOUTHERN FRANCE
I know of no complete Southern French cookbooks -
well, one or two are listed in Santich, but i
don't know if they're available (even in Medieval
Southern French). Anyone know of one?
For some individual recipes in English see
Santich and Redon/Sabban/Serventi (below). Do NOT
use "Le Menagier de Paris " - it's northern, not
Mediterranean

ITALY
-- Ancient Rome (i have many resources - i won't
list them in this e-mail, but in a separate one)
-- Anonymous Venetian - on Helewyse's website (i have the URL)
-- Anonymous Tuscan - by Vittoria on my website (i have the URL)
-- Cuoco Napolitano - translated by Terence Scully (shows Catalan influence)
-- Maestro Martino of Como - Libro de Arte
Coquinaria (Book on the Art of Cookery)
In English as: The Art of Cooking: The First
Modern Cookery Book (California Studies in Food
and Culture)
-- Platina - De honesta voluptate & Valitudine
In English as: On right pleasure and good health.
A critical edition and translation of "De honesta
voluptate et valetudine" by M.E. Milham. Tempe,
Arizona 1998 (Medieval & Renaissance Texts &
Studies 168)
--Bartolomeo Scappi - Opera dell'Arte del Cucinare
Not available in English, but some individual recipes are

OTHER
-- Ancient Greece (i have some sources for this
that i'll post in the Roman resource message)
-- Portuguese - Um tratado da cozinha portuguesa
do século XV - in our files section.

COMPENDIA
-- The Original Mediterranean Cuisine : Medieval Recipes for Today
by Barbara Santich
-- The Medieval Kitchen : Recipes from France and Italy
by Odile Redon, Francoise Sabban, Silvano Serventi, trans. Edward Schneider

Please let me know of more recommendations. Thanks.

In Service,
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita