[Sca-cooks] Re: Jellied Milk

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sun Oct 2 10:45:03 PDT 2005

Johnnae has probably beaten me to the source since I get the digest, but
jellied milk was called, in period, leach.  Dawson has a recipe in the 1596
_The Good Huswifes Jewell_.  A modern version is in _Banquetting Stuffe_
and a recipe is probably filed in Stefan's Florilegium since we had a
discussion of leach a few years back.  It could be flavored with rosewater,
orangeflower water, gilded, etc.  I've made it with raspberries but one
needs to filter out all the seeds since they fall to the bottom of the
leach and form a nasty bottom.  Never served it at a feast but did take it
to events and dessert revels where most folk liked it - that is, if they
liked rosewater flavoring!

Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com