[Sca-cooks] Re: ancient Roman cookery

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Oct 2 20:29:56 PDT 2005

Aurelia replied to me with:
> Thank you so much for the welcome and the wealth of
> information. I don't tend to use a lot of garum
> myself, but it got quite a response on this list!

Yes. And some of this thread is new, which often happens when someone
brings up something, even if it has been discussed before. Bits and
pieces of this thread will likely show up in the Florilegium garum-
msg file, the fd-Romans-msg file etc.
> Currently I am planning a Roman feast for a group of
> reenactors. I will share my recipes if anyone else
> would like them!

Please do.

You mentioned that you didn't know anyone doing a Roman persona
locally, and I also somewhere else that you mentioned you were in
Bryn Gwlad. Admittedly, there are a lot of 1595 personas in this
barony because rapier combat is so popular here, likely because Don
Tivar the first Don of the SCA and the originator of most of the
rapier combat in the SCA, still plays in this barony. However there
are some earlier personas and one of them has done quite a bit of
work over the years in studying the Romano-British. He wrote the
clothing article I mentioned in my earlier message quoted below. You
might want to look him up at a fighter practice or an event. Be aware
though, that once you get him talking you may be there awhile, or
perhaps have an escape in mind. :-)

Stefan

> And since you specifically mentioned Romano-British,
> there is this
> file in the CLOTHING section:
> cl-Rom-Brit-art   (18K) 10/17/95    "Basic
> Romano-British Clothing"
> by Sion Glas
>
> Stefan
<<<<