[Sca-cooks] 'Feeding Nelson's Navy'

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Oct 3 06:02:39 PDT 2005

On Oct 3, 2005, at 8:46 AM, Volker Bach wrote:

> Am Montag, 3. Oktober 2005 12:05 schrieb Phil Troy / G. Tacitus
> Adamantius:
>

>> 1758 -1805. Battle of Trafalgar, Napoleonic Wars, "Kiss me, Hardy."
>> Although some claim now that he actually said, "Kismet, Hardy!" If he
>> did, then Hardy apparently misunderstood.
>>

> :-p
>
> Are we so unsure in our heterosexual masculinity now that we must
> twist our
> greatest role models for extra reassurance?

Evidently. Although I confess that when, in one of my more memorable
incidents in my SCA life, a well-known Duke (subsequently declared an
un-person by the BoD) came up to me and embraced and kissed me as I
left the kitchen, sexuality was the last thing on my mind. I was
thinking more along the lines of, "Never go against the family,
'Fredo!" In actual fact, though, it was purely in gratitude and
congratulation, but there were people prepared to comment on the
incident years later in all sorts of uncharitable ways.

> Seriously, Nelson was a child of the Romantic Age and deeply
> emotional. His
> captains went by the name of his 'Band of Brothers'. Sure, he may
> have picked
> up the term 'Kismet' at some point, but I very, very much doubt it.

Yeah, well, the ability to think in the occasionally alien manner of
people from another time is often lacking in our culture. One of the
things I like (and that is not everything) about the HBO "Rome"
series are the little emotional touches, such as when the centurion
character explains that he loves his wife, and that it is important
that she love him in return, because firstly, if his love is
unrequited, he would be merely a slave, and that would be repugnant,
and secondly, a man needs a loving wife to pour out the libations for
him at his funeral.

Hey, it all made perfect sense to _me_...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04