[Sca-cooks] To oil or not to oil?

otsisto otsisto at socket.net
Mon Oct 3 11:16:22 PDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
(snip)
I think what is going on here is two names for almost the same thing.
Almost.
The oil of flax seeds intended for human consumption is called Flaxseed
Oil and appears in health food stores.
The oil of flax seeds intended for use in oil painting is called Linseed
Oil  and is found in art supply stores.  DO NOT EAT THIS because it
contains other non-edible substances that are good for paint but bad for
people. (snip)
Selene, clarifying my oils.

Reply:
Selene, Thank you for clarifying of what I was saying with flaxseed vs.
linseed.

Mineral oil is recommended because it has not been known to go rancid.

What I am a bit confused about is how the container will be used. If this is
a butter mold, from my experience, the butter is molded, chilled and removed
with the mold being washed out after molding. Is this a different type of
butter mold where you store the butter in the mold?
I have seen a 1700 wood butter mold that you store the butter in where an
inner press with the design on it inserted so that after meals the press
would push down the butter to recreate the pattern for the next meal. I was
told that the oil from the butter conditioned the inside and the outside was
coated in bee's wax.

Lyse