[Sca-cooks] Rice in a roaster?

Heather M margaretnorthwode at frontiernet.net
Fri Oct 7 05:52:39 PDT 2005

Adele de Maisieres wrote:

> Heather M wrote:
>
>> In a half-hour at 400 deg. F. the water in the roaster had warmed up
>> only to the point that it was uncomfortable to handle, and the rice
>> had absorbed but little water.
>

> That's as much a quantity thing as anything else.  _Always_ use
> _boiling_ water when doing baked rice.

Hrm. My post on this doesn't seem to have made it through. Every pot was
in use (the stockpot I mentioned wasn't free till the lentils were
served out), and while piping hot (ahem) the water heater of
questionable age put out chalky water, where the other tap put out clean
and drinkable water. So I had to start with cold, unfortunately. I
normally start with boiling, too.

Margaret Northwode