[Sca-cooks] Sumac recipes request

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Oct 8 01:48:43 PDT 2005

Lucrezia asked:
> Does anyone know of any period recipes containing sumac other than
> 'Maqluba' (meat and walnut patties) from al-Baghdadi and
> 'Adas' (lentils and taro) from Ibn al-Mabrad?

There is this file in the PLANTS,HERBS AND SPICES section of the
Florilegium which has some general information about sumac, including
the different types of sumac. Unfortunately, there are no recipes in
this file. But if you use the search engine on the site, you will
find quite a number of references to sumac. Some are for things like
dyeing leather, but I believe there is at least one recipe in these
other files.

sumac-msg         (15K) 12/29/99    Period uses of sumac. Identiying it.

Stefan
(oh yes, and I'd advise against using any sumac which has white
berries in your recipes. :-) )
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com