[Sca-cooks] New Thanksgiving Cookbook

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 11 07:43:23 PDT 2005

Ron Carnegie wrote:

>Don't believe everything they teach at Berkely Plantation. Their history is a little warped and contrived.  If you were to believe them most of American History began at Berkeley!
>
>Ranald De Balinhard

Actually, I obtained this information from history books, several of
them, about Virginia history.  When I lived and taught public school in
Massachusetts, I learned, much to my amusement, that Plimouth Plantation
was the first permanent English settlement!  No mention was made in
their school texts of Jamestown or Williamsburg (not the first colony,
but very important in the Colonial and Revolutionary periods).   And
then, of course, there's the ongoing dispute between Harvard and William
& Mary as to which was the first English college/university.  The truth
appears to be that William & Mary was chartered first, but that Harvard
was the first in actual operation.

Kiri  ;-)