[Sca-cooks] Thanksgiving Thoughts, was: New Thanksgiving Cookbook

RON CARNEGIE r.carnegie at verizon.net
Wed Oct 12 11:59:39 PDT 2005

   I have here before me a copy of the post restoration prayer book of the
Church of England.  This is of course well post the SCA period, and is only
the book of prayer of the English Church.  That being said the book is based
upon the Roman Catholic Prayer book, whiich is one of the reasons why there
is a Post Restoration version!  No prayer book was allowed the English
Church under the Protecterate as it was far to "popish" a custom.  It is one
of the "sins" the puritans wished to avoid.

  Anyway, this book lists specific prayers for a General Thanksgiving, For
Rain, For Fair Weather, For Plenty, For Peace and Deliverence from our
Enemies, For Restoring Publick Peace at Home, For Deliverence from the
Plague, or Other Common Diseases.  These are all included in the chapter
entitled Prayers and Thanksgivings.  There are also yearly days of
Thanksgiving included in their own chapters.  These are all post SCA period,
but might serve to show the sort of extraordinary things that might call for
Thansgiving days.  These days are for the failing of Guy Fawkes,and The
restoration of the Crown to Charles II,  Charles I is also recognized as a
Martyr.

Ranald de Balinhard,