[Sca-cooks] Asia to Middle East to Europe

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sat Oct 15 11:30:19 PDT 2005

Stefan asked:

Can anyone think of any other
> central or southwestern Asian item that made it to the Middle East
> but not to Europe within a reasonable time after that, which did
> later catch on in Europe?

Ok when to arrive in the ME and when to later catch on later in Europe?

At a guess quat and duran fruit never caught on in Europe :-).

I suggest that yogurt, henna, bananas, coconuts, frequent bathing, gun
powder, certain medical practices, lenses and eye glasses, faceted gem
stones, distillation, perfumery, certain board games, true porcelain,
certain mathematical/accounting concepts, calendar reform and temperance
caught on significantly later in Europe.  I'm just not sure if all of these
came out of Asia first.

Daniel