[Sca-cooks] Feast Challanges/Disaster for Stefan (really long)

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 12:14:30 PDT 2005

> >There were multiple
> >items that called for honey, but it seemed to me that there just
> >wasn't enough in the pantry.

> Johnnae> So what happened to the honey?
Both that and the Apple Cider Vinegar remain a mystery. I think there
might be someone out there with a large amount of purloined Sekanjabin
- it is the only thing I can come up with that requires those two
ingredients ;)!

(skip the following if you hate math like I do)
I believe that there is a possibility that not enough honey was
purchased in the first place. A translation from oz to pounds to cups
and tablespoons went all wonky at some point. According to the spread
sheet he purchased 10 lbs of honey which converts to roughly 160 oz.
When I converted the cups and tablespoons to oz and added them
altogether I came up with a figure of needing around 103 Cups. I then
looked at the numbers closer and decided that he did not actually need
4 cups of honey per batch of dressing for the apple salad and assumed
that he meant Tablespoons which equals a quarter cup. This brought the
total cups needed to about 47 cups.1 cup = 8 oz which multiplies out
to 376 oz. And all of this I am really unsure about because the whole
oz vs. fl oz thing confuses me. What it came down to is that I had two
5 lb containers of honey for the feast. I scavenged an additional 5 lb
container plus a part of another 5 lb container and I still did not
have enough honey to prepare the planned items. But we made it up with
simple syrup and everything was fine.
(end of math bit)

> If you rose to the challenge, doesn't that mean it wasn't a disaster?

When Stefan originally asked for this write up I mentioned that. I
said I did not think this qualified to be a disaster because in the
end, it was a lovely feast that everyone enjoyed. But he said he would
like it anyway - I guess he could explain his thinking here better
than I. I think that the feast was very well planned and I did my best
to live up to his planning.

Glad Tidings,
Serena