[Sca-cooks] Pumpkin

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Oct 19 20:18:18 PDT 2005

If you are working from Apicius, the pumpkin will actually be a bottle
gourd, or possibly, a melon (pepo in Latin, now used as the genus name for
squashes) similar to a honeydew.  The New World squash we call pumpkin gets
to Europe about 1000 plus years after the recipes were first collected.
Modern cooks tend to use squash rather than trying to locate gourds.  If you
choose to use New World pumpkin a small variety around two pounds is
probably close to those common in the 16th  Century.

Bear