[Sca-cooks] Re: Blown Sugar is Chinese Apparently

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Oct 26 18:31:56 PDT 2005

Sugar cane was being grown in the Indus Valley and basic extraction was
being performed by about 500 BCE.  Sugar and sugar refining were being
practiced in Mesopotamia by around 500 CE having been imported from India by
the Persians.  I see no particular problem to the Chinese having refined
sugar before the Islamic expansion as the Arabs got sugar refining and sugar
cane from the Persians around 640 CE.

There is a train of thought that sugar cane originated in Polynesia and was
brought into southeast Asia where it radiated out into India and China.  If
this were the case, then I would think that the 200 BCE date for the
introduction of sugar cane into China as being rather late.

Bear