[Sca-cooks] Using fresh pumpkin instead of canned in a recipe?

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Wed Oct 26 19:09:49 PDT 2005

Tara Sersen Boroson wrote:

> So, can anybody tell me, if a recipe calls for solid-pack canned
> pumpkin, can I use roasted mashed pumpkin one-for-one by volume?
> Alternately, in some old time cookbooks I have here I see advice to
> roast the pumpkins, mash the flesh, then tie it up in cheesecloth to
> let it drip and condense like making yogurt cheese.  Do they condense
> it like this before canning?

Canned pumpkin is unavailable in New Zealand, so I use equivalent volume
of roasted or steamed and mashed pumpkin for _all_ recipes that call for
canned.  It's pretty much the same unless either the pumpkin seems a bit
watery, in which case it should be well drained or the pumpkin seems a
bit fibrous, in which case it should be passed through a sieve.

--
Adele de Maisieres

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?