[Sca-cooks] Using fresh pumpkin instead of canned in a recipe?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 27 16:19:02 PDT 2005

I recall reading - on this very list - some other Late Fall - that
canned pumpkin is not made of pumpkin. It's made of other red-orange
fleshed squash - ?butternut, ISTR...

I think part of the issue is that the pumpkins one finds in the
supermarket have been bred for looks, not taste or texture. In my
experience supermarket pumpkins are very watery and stringy. They
need to be drained after cooking to remove the water, and then
strained to remove the fibers.
--
Urtatim (err-tah-TEEM) / Anahita