[Sca-cooks] Re: Blown Sugar is Chinese Apparently

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Oct 27 20:24:19 PDT 2005

On Oct 27, 2005, at 11:05 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Adamantius then commented:
>
>>  Well, then there's the sort of anecdotal evidence stating that for
>> centuries, cane sugar has been the primary fermentable in India, as
>> opposed to the grapes/apples, malt or honey of Europe. As far as I
>> can tell, there are probably few instances of cultures whose primary
>> booze outlet doesn't center around the most abundant/readily
>> available/cheapest sugar source.
>>

> I always thought the Mongols must have been rather desperate to use
> milk as their sugar source for their alcohol. But if cane sugar was
> as common as mentioned above, I'd think the Mongols would have used
> sugar, not milk.

Well, given the size and remoteness of some of the lands the Mongols
travelled through, what makes you think they weren't, even if someone
had a lot of sugar 1000 or more miles away? From my rather limited
research into things Mongol, I get the impression Temujin probably
preferred a nice glass of mead, himself. But as I say, Asia's a big
place, and without things like railroads, one cannot assume that
commodities readily available on a sub-tropical coastline are
necessarily easy to come by on the steppes.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04