[Sca-cooks] Galangal

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 31 06:47:20 PST 2005

I can't help you with finding both spices.  I get galangal at a local health
food store and have yet to run across lesser galangal.

Greater galangal is Alpinia galanga.  Lesser galangal is Kaempferia galanga,
except that the term is also used for Alpinia officinarum.  A. officinarum
is commonly defined as galangal and is a common substitute for greater
galangal.  Presumably, lesser galangal does not have as bright a flavor as
greater galangal and is more bitter and medicinal.

This URL should bring you into lesser galangal on Gernot Katzer's Spice
Pages:

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/generic_frame.html?Kaem_gal.html

Bear