[Sca-cooks] Lemon Relish, was Silver Spoon - Mists Fall Coronet

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 9 10:18:03 PDT 2005

Stefan wrote:
>Gunthar suggested:
>  > I hope someone does the thin sliced lemons with sugar!
>  > Yum!
>  > And refreshing.
>
>Sounds like it could be very nice tasting, but is there any evidence
>for this being a period dish?

I think Gunthar is thinking of something else, but i served a German
recipe for chopped lemons tossed with sugar and pomegranate seeds at
the mostly German Boar Hunt, my second feast, 2001. Recipe on my
website:
http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/2001_Feasts/2001-Boar_Hunt/2001-0menu.html

Lemon and pomegranate relish
Marx Rumpolt, Ein New Kochbuch, 1581
37. Lemon chopped with sugar and sprinkled with pomegranate seeds.

My Recipe:
makes 10 small bowls

10 medium lemons
5 pomegranates
plenty of granulated sugar

1. Peel pomegranates, separating seeds into a large bowl, removing
all pith. Pomegranates contain tannin and will stain clothes and
hands. Be sure to wear an apron - and latex/rubber gloves if you wish.
2. Sprinkle pomegranate seeds with sugar.
3. Chop lemons up completely and finely, removing only the seeds.
4. Mix with pomegranate seeds.
5. Sprinkle with lots sugar. Let stand. Add more sugar as necessary.
6. Serve in small dishes.

There wasn't a scrap left and people were begging for more.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita