[Sca-cooks] marzipan boxes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Sep 9 22:42:59 PDT 2005

  Johnnae mentioned:
> I was doing an image search today and came
> across this one
> http://www.nga.gov/cgi-bin/pinfo?Object=45891+0+none
>
> It's too good to pass up and it's easy to get to since it's in the
> National Gallery of Art. There are a number of detail images too.
>
> Still Life with Sweets and Pottery, 1627 by Juan van der Hamen
>
> Doughnuts anyone?

The review of the painting mentioned marzipan boxes. Which ones are
these? The round, very thin ones with tops? To me, those look very
much like the boxes you can buy in the hobby stores made out of very
thin wood. They look more like these in the painting are made of thin
wood, not marzipan. Or by "marzipan boxes" is the reviewer talking
about boxes made to hold marzipan items rather than that the boxes
are made of marzipan?

If the latter, what makes these particular boxes "marzipan boxes"? Do
we have other period (or close to period) texts which mention
"marzipan boxes"?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas