[Sca-cooks] Fwd: Re: [aten] (the tomato is period) Planet Ketchup - Mushroom and medi-sauces?

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 14 16:45:43 PDT 2005

Comments?

Mordonna

John Groseclose <iain at caradoc.org> wrote:
To: atenveldt at yahoogroups.com
From: John Groseclose <iain at caradoc.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:18:00 -0700
Subject: Re: [aten] (the tomato is period) Planet Ketchup - Mushroom and medi-sauces

At 6:04 PM -0500 9/14/05, Michael Gunter wrote:

> There are a couple of recipes from period from Spain but that's
> about it. So, don't go expecting pasta with tomato sauce and
> ketchup to be regular fare at period feasts.

Catsup (ketchup, etc.) *might* be regular fare - but not with tomatoes in it.

http://mimi.essortment.com/historyketchup_rlju.htm

In the 1600s Dutch and British seamen brought back a salty pickled
fish sauce called 'ketsiap' from China. In this version, it was more
related to soy or oyster sauce than the sweet, vinegary substance we
call ketchup today. Variations in both the name and the ingredients
quickly developed. British alternatives included mushrooms (the
favorite), anchovies, oysters, and walnuts. In 1690 the word
'catchup' appeared in print in reference to this sauce, and in 1711
'ketchup'.

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/sleuth/0799/

Indonesian and Asian culture invented what we know today as ketchup.
The spicy, pickled fish sauce made of anchovies, walnuts, mushrooms
and kidney beans, dating back thousands of years was called ke-tsiap
or kecap and was popular in 17th-century China. British seamen
brought ke-tsiap home with them where the name was changed to catchup
and then finally ketchup. It wasn't until the late 1700s though that
canny New Englanders added tomatoes to the blend.

Tomatoes in catsup are *well* post-period.

Iain
--
Spam Delenda Est

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/LmiolB/TM