[Sca-cooks] torula fungus

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Sep 18 21:45:01 PDT 2005

Bear commented:
> This interpretation is in keeping with the fact that torula (a yeast-
> like
> fungus) grown on sugar cane is halal while that grown on liquor are
> haram.

Is this tortula yeast something that is intentionally grown on sugar
cane? Or something that you just end up with sometimes, anyway? I
assume that if the rabbis are ruling on it, then folks must be eating
it though. Do you mean this same fungus also grows on liquor? Or
something else grows on liquor? Is that "on" or "in" the liquor?
Either way, I though liquor referred to a distilled beverage with a
high alcohol content. How does this fungus survive in that
environment? I thought most yeasts died somewhere in teens or
twenties of percentage of alcohol? Or at least high enough to be of a
concern when brewing mead.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas