[Sca-cooks] meat cuts

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Tue Sep 20 08:14:18 PDT 2005

Greetings,

Next weekend, 10/1, I will be cooking a Saxon feast for Danelaw. (
http://www.brynmadoc.org/danelaw14.html ) One of the dishes we will be
preparing is stewed boar:

Eofor (stewed boar) — Boar, onions, pepper, sage, thyme, coriander seed,
red wine, salt

My supplier for the boar is not that familiar with what the cuts mean
for this animal, and neither am I. I understand what the shoulder cut
is, and that is an option. However, there are two cheaper cuts listed:
belly and trim. I am fairly sure that the belly would be similar to
bacon and the trim is the leftover pieces from "trimming" the other
cuts. So, would trim be suitable for a boar stew, or should I stick with
the shoulder?

Thanks!
Aoghann