[Sca-cooks] in the thick of it...

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Thu Sep 22 11:49:59 PDT 2005

Two questions.

First, would the broth from stewed meat be thickened in the 9th century,
Danelaw area.

Second, what is the technique for thickening with bread or bread crumbs.

This is the recipe that I have concocted. There are no originals to work
from for this area and period. Looking at earlier sources, later
sources, leechbooks, and the work of others (Savelli, Black, etc.) this
is what I have:

Boar Stew (small batch, approximate measurements)

1.5 lbs Boar (I am using stew meat from the shoulder.)
2 medium onions
1 cup red wine
1 Tbl red wine vinegar
0.5 tsp ground black pepper