[Sca-cooks] Manus Christi: Was Selene's Files

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 29 07:14:16 PDT 2005

Greetings.  Adamantius is correct that Manus Christi is not a prayer but a
confection.  In doing some early research on sugar boiling, I found that
Karen Hess in _Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery_, recipe S5, gives 215
decrees F. as "manus christi height".  This is, I believe, the same as the
"thread" or "lisse" stage of sugar boiling.  However, _Joy of Cooking_
gives the temperature of the "thread" stage as 230-234 degrees F.    It
probably would be something to experiment with.

Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/