[Sca-cooks] Chicken Breast vs. Bone in chicken

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Sep 1 09:05:09 PDT 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> I am trying to figure out cost on chicken and need to know
> if anyone has a "conversion" for how much meat you are
> getting per pound on a fryer chicken.
>
> I'll be making chicken soup for lunch and the head cook
> wants to split a 40 lb box of chicken breasts with me.  My
> receipe calls for whole birds.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Vitha

Depending, obviously, on the type of bird (fast growth, etc) a whole carcass
of a modern bird will be roughly 60% meat- reason the meat to bone ratio is
higher than with red meat animals is that they birds are immature, and they
don't do as much bone growth, being smaller. The chicken breasts are 90% +,
depending on whether they're boneless/skinless or not.

What you'll basicly get is a meat rich soup that's rather bland in flavor,
if you just use an equivalent weight of breasts- the bones and fat and the
dark meat add a LOT of flavor to a chicken soup, but most folks won't really
notice.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.