[Sca-cooks] OT - Katrina aftermath

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Thu Sep 1 10:41:13 PDT 2005

At 06:14 AM 9/1/2005, you wrote:

>Does anyone else remember the rationing back in the 70's?

I do! We lived around the block from a Shell station, and the owner let my
dad park there overnight so he'd be in line first thing in the morning.
Considering the mileage the old Buick got... <gag>

>We aren't to that point here in
>Austin, yet. As I was driving in, prices ranged from $2.79 a
>gallon to a low of $2.59. I filled up my tank on Monday @ $2.47
>and still have over 3/4 of a tank but I was tempted to stop and
>top it off. The place with $2.59 was really busy.

I drive a diesel  Volvo wagon (Zippy the Wonder Volvo) and I filled up
Monday for $2.83. She gets 30mpg, but still, I'm planning a trip to Ashland
this weekend, and aghast at the thought of filling before coming home...

OFC- what are these prices going to do to our food costs? Is anyone
planning a feast and wondering if the price will go up?

'Lainie