[Sca-cooks] OT - Katrina aftermath

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 2 06:36:17 PDT 2005

Johnna Holloway wrote:

> 3.39 at the pump here locally in Chelsea, MI last evening.
> They said this am that prices here are 3rd highest in the country.
>
> Johnnae
>
> Huette von Ahrens wrote:

We're experiencing a real anomaly here...the usual "cheap" places (for
example, our local Safeway supermarket now sells gas, and is usually 3 -
5 cents cheaper than the standard dealers) are substantially more
expensive than BP, Exxon, etc.  The local Exxon here in Prince
Frederick, MD, has gas for well under $3 per gallon (around 2.69 or so),
where the Safeway is now up to $3.48 and has been there for a couple of
days!  I hope I am going to find cheaper gas today when I go down to St.
Marys County for lunch with friends today...but I dunno.  I still have
to believe that there has been significant price gouging and feel that
that is far more criminal than those poor souls in New Orleans who are
looting to get life's necessities.  My husband just read me a piece
from, I think, Comcast news...turns out that some folks went into the
kitchen at the Superdome to try to put together food for the people
there.  They were chased out at gunpoint, with rough threats of having
their brains blown out.  Hmmmm.  What's wrong with this picture?

A very angry and upset Kiri